Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Athletic Supporters...Really?

How many of you remember the old, traditional athletic supporters.  Nope, I'm not talking about the Booster Club - I'm talking about the infamous Jock Strap.  In this day an age, the jock strap has pretty much gone by the way-side...at least that is what I thought until I started browsing the web for images of a jock strap.  Which by the way, is not something I would suggest you do...unless you are looking for some very interesting photographs. 


The Infamous Jock Strap!

Anyway...now that I have your attention, I will tell you that this post is not about jock straps either.  

Nope.  

This post is about a much more important type of athletic supporter.  In my case - my wife Donna.  

My amazing wife...Donna






That's right, many of us aging athletes would be lost without our support team - which often is comprised of our spouse or significant other.

These selfless supporters are there for us, without fail, every time we decide to embark on another journey to find out what we are made of. Sometimes they are there when you are in a jam, and need them to bail you out.  No, I'm not talking about jail.  Regardless of the reason - they are there.

At least that's the way it is in my case.

Donna has been my support staff for quite some time now...not just in my athletic adventures either.  This amazing woman stood by my side and supported me, never once complaining, when I decided (at age 42) to pursue my Bachelor's degree - and then move right on into my Master's program, just weeks after graduation.

During my last two 12-hour solo mountain bike races she served as my pit crew, readying my hydration and nutrition so that I could quickly throw it down my gullet, and get back to pedaling.  Without her, I would not have achieved my lap goal for either race.  As a bonus...she was the hottest pit crew at either race!

The support doesn't just come at race time either.  As many of you know all too well, these events require months of preparation.  In my case, that means logging hundreds of hours and miles on my mountain bike...all of which are spent away from my wife.  It takes a very special person to be supportive of that kind of time commitment, and I am truly blessed to have someone like that in my corner.

My wife has come to my rescue more than once, picking me up when my bike broke beyond trail-repair - when I lost my keys out in the middle of nowhere - and most recently, when I realized (almost 10-miles from home) that I had forgotten my water bottles.  Yep, she put her life on hold to bring my bottles to me.  Amazing!

As many of you are aware of, I am now training for yet another cycling adventure...the 2013 Ride 430 Challenge.  This event is the culmination of months of fundraising to provide much needed financial support for injured/killed U.S. Marines and their families.  To donate to this great cause, click here.

I have already logged hundreds of miles in the saddle of my Trek Domane road bike, and spent many hours away from my wife.  Over the course of the next seven months, I will log over 2000 miles, spending many hours apart from her.  

Her position?  Completely encouraging, and totally supportive.

I have an amazing support system - how about you?

Please take the time to comment, sharing stories about your support team...I'd love to hear about it!

Yours in Health and Performance,

John


1 comment:

  1. She is an awesome cheerleader!! For you for me for everyone she knows. I'm thankful to have her in my life. Thankful for you too... by the way.

    ReplyDelete