Friday, January 25, 2013

It's All About Performance

Whether we are working or competing, our performance is truly what matters...isn't it?  There are other aspects of our lives where performance matters...or is it size? I always forget.  It's kind of like the chicken and the egg...depending on who you ask, the answer varies.  In either case, we wont be discussing topics of that sort here...you'll have to look elsewhere for that kind of help.

Okay, let's get back on track here...I've barely begun this post, and I'm already off on a tangent.

Where were we?  Oh yes, performance.  I can honestly say I have never heard an athlete, at any level, say that they were completely satisfied with their performance.  Whether during training or competition, we always want to do better.  Why is that?  Why can't we be satisfied with what we accomplished on any given day, during any given training session...during any given moment of competition?

Potential.  That's right...we all have more to give.  We have the potential to accomplish more than what we did.  Human potential may not be limitless, but for most of us...we have barely begun to scratch the surface of what we are capable of.  Our unlocked potential is what provides motivation and incentive to push against those intrinsic, self-imposed limits.  Or better yet, those limitations that have placed upon us extrinsically...what we have been told we are capable of, or not capable of.

As athletes, we are driven by the desire to push the limits of our potential.  We throw around terms such as Personal Record (PR) or Personal Best (PB) to describe what we were capable of...at our best.  At our best?  What is our best?  Can we be better?  Do we have the potential?  Are we willing to push the limits of our unlocked potential so that we may proclaim a new personal best?...that's really what it's all about.  Potential.

A smart man once said "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves".  That man was Thomas Edison.  Very profound indeed.

Whether in work or sport, there are a variety of factors that limit our performance.  Rest/Recovery.  Nutrition. Movement.  Strength.  Power.  Endurance...I could go on and on.  Interestingly, I chose to list rest/recovery first.  Many athletes are led to believe that rest is for the weak.  To truly push the boundaries of their own potential, and improve their performance, they must train...relentlessly.  Are you one of those athletes?  If so, I am here to tell you that you are wrong.  It's not just my opinion...it is fact.

As adaptable as our bodies are, and as much untapped potential as we have, the human body is still only capable of doing so much...across a given amount of time.  Gains in performance, those that stay with us for the long haul, are developed incrementally...through progressive-based training that incorporates not only stress, but rest.  You see, it is during these periods of rest and recovery that the gains made during highly stressful training sessions really take hold.  This is when the body makes physical changes as a result of training stresses.  During rest.

Garbage in, garbage out.  It's a phrase repeated by many an athlete, and is used (most of the time) to describe the importance of proper, performance-based nutrition.   Performance-based nutrition...now there's a term you don't hear everyday, and one that most likely has different meanings to different people.  We'll talk about performance-based nutrition within this blog of mine, and I'll promise you two things:  I promise to give you my thoughts on what performance-based nutrition is, and I promise to provide you with sound, evidence-based information...not just the latest fad-based perspective on what we should and should not be eating.  I'll come clean right now...I am not a nutritionist.  I am not a dietitian.  In my profession as a trainer and strength coach, it is considered 'out of my scope of practice' to prescribe specific dietary guidelines to my clients.  It is not however,  out of line for me to share information about nutrition and nutritional concepts in an attempt to provide my client a foundation from which to make an informed decision.  I will help you develop or bolster your nutritional foundation through this blog.

Performance is also limited by our ability to move.  Human movement is the foundation for physical performance.  There are many factors that affect our ability to move, and the overall quality of our movement.  Poor movement quality equates to poor athletic performance...right?  You might be surprised by my answer...which by the way is "not necessarily".  Over the years I have been very surprised by the physical performance levels of athletes who had extremely poor movement quality.  Despite their movement limitations, these athletes were highly successful in their respective sports.  Power development, agility, speed, strength...they had all the tools, and they could use them.  

Have I peaked your interest yet?  Do you have questions?  I hope so.

Check back often as I will be posting weekly on the topics that we just discussed, and more.

Yours in Health and Performance,

John

5 comments:

  1. John,
    On the days that I play competitive tennis specifically (as opposed to social tennis), my performance seems fine in that I move well, feel strong and I'm in focus. My question is for the after. That day (and it happens every week) I am FAMISHED for the rest of the day and not for vegetables. For SUGAR and carbs. By the evening I don't feel well from the indulgence. I feel like I am not doing something right for that day and that my body is trying to make up for it. Can you help me with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty normal Teresa...but it doesn't make it right, or healthy. What is happening is you are using up a great deal of your glycogen stores. Glycogen is the stored form of carbohydrate, and it is stored in both your muscles and your liver. Our body uses three different energy systems to supply our body with the energy needed to perform various forms of activity. Tennis uses (primarily) the system that relies heavily upon that stored glycogen. If you are consuming a diet that is relatively low in carbs on a regular basis, then there is a good chance that your glycogen stores are in a relatively short supply. If your stores run low during an event your body can begin to break down muscle proteins to supply the necessary energy to required to perform. You may or may not feel this during your activity. Endurance athletes experience this rather quickly once they run low, and they (I) refer to it as 'bonking'. You may not be bonking during your matches, but the fact that you are famished afterward tells me that you are running very low. There are a few things you can do to help this problem. First...eat more carbs in your normal diet. I know this may make you break out in a sweat for fear that you will gain weight...but understand that I am not telling you to overload on carbs...just increase the amount you are taking in by 5 or 10% of your total daily calories...and see how that feels. They dont have to be starchy, high calorie carbs...veggies and fruits will do just fine, and they contain many phtyochems and fiber as a bonus. Next...consume some carbs and calories during your matches. Take breaks between games and/or sets to refuel and keep those muscles filled with glycogen. This is the time for simple sugars...carbs that raise your blood sugar levels quickly, and aid in the creation and storage of glycogen. This is where products like gatorade and powerade work quite well. By doing this, you will hopefully prevent your glycogen stores from reaching low levels, and your activity will be fueled (not primarily, but assisted) with those simple sugars. Your activity will prevent them from becoming empty calories as you will burn them up quickly. Following your matches you need to be consuming post-workout nutrition in the form of carbohydrate/protein. Optimally a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 CHO:PRO is necessary to replace glycogen stores AND rebuild muscle tissue broken down by your activity. If weight gain is an issue for you, then stick with the 2:1 ratio. An evidence-based product is chocolate milk. It is a wonderful, inexpensive post-workout recovery drink. Just grab one of those small little bottles and drink the whole thing...12 oz. If lactose is an issue, Muscle Milk makes lactose free products that are great for recovery. I dont recommend drinking these regularly...just as post-workout recovery. You can also eat good whole foods rather than relying on a processed product however, the liquid form of recovery drinks works quite well, and quite quickly. Also...you should strive to get your recovery shake/food into your system within 10-minutes following your workout/competition. The window of opportunity to replenish your muscles begins to close quickly, and is essentially closed after two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. Thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate it.

    I used to drink the gatorades before and during my matches. Somewhere along the way I made the switch to water and it sounds like that might be one of the components. I'm going to go back to the gatorade.

    Also, as I see it in print it's really apparent. I'm not eating enough before the match and during. Although my performance seems fine - I'm paying for it afterwards. The 1/2 bagel with peanut butter is not cutting it. I will add more food before the match and during. I never really thought of it - for some reason.

    I'm also going to do the chocolate milk thing. I think about it all the time because you have been recommending it for years.

    As for the carb addition to my regular diet... I will absolutely up the veggie/fruit portion of my diet. No problems there. Side note: I am definitely NOT on a low carb diet - you taught me that there weren't any foods to fear!!

    I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I'm not getting enough carbs after the match. I see that now. 2:1 ratio or 3:1 check.

      Delete
  4. Be careful about the type and amount of solid foods that you comsume prior to, and even during your matches. Solid foods are not easily digested, and require a great deal of blood to be shunted to the GI tract to aid in the digestion process. This shunting results in less blood being available to supply nutrients to the muscles. My suggestion is to stop the intake of solid foods 2 hours prior to your match or training session to allow digestion to occur. When I train and compete, I take in only liquid fuels...even during my 12-hours of racing. It is so much easier to digest, and I never get any GI problems. Also be careful of the amount of fats that you consume due to their reduction of gastric emptying rates. They prevent fluids from leaving the GI tract, thereby decreasing hydration rates. Definitely keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete